Electric motorcycles are taking a big step forward.
Brammo announced this morning that it is rolling out a new line of electric dirt bikes featuring six-speed transmissions, an unprecedented development that promises to boost performance and increase range. Until now, electric motorcycles have used direct drive, providing optimal acceleration or top speed but rarely both.
By introducing multiple gears, the Oregon company’s line of Engage and Encite motorcycles can offer wheelie-inducing acceleration and grin-inducing top speed. Company boss Craig Bramscher claims its top-tier motocrosser rivals the performance of a 250cc four-stroke gasoline motorcycle and hopes to prove it this weekend at the big MiniMotoSX race in Las Vegas.
“The acceleration of these bikes is just amazing,” he says. “We’ve had some professional riders on it and they’ve been blown away.”
- 6-Speed Electric Dirt Bike Cuts the Emissions, Not the Fun (wired.com)
- Brammo To Make Electric Motorcycles That Feel More Like Gas-Powered (techcrunch.com)
- Brammo announces Engage and Encite electric motorcycles, taking it to the dirt with six speeds (engadget.com)
- Brammo Engage and Encite: six-speed gearboxes go electric (hellforleathermagazine.com)
- Video: Brammo Enertia and Icon Motorsports visit Rose City Rollers (autoblog.com)
- New Electric Motorcycle Goes 100 MPH And Has 100 Mile Range (brainz.org)