Jamie Lidell is a seriously talented and internationally known musician and producer, but the music he’s able to make using only this iPhone app is crazy. This cannot possibly be real. The subway just got way more fun.
The new iMaschine app for iPhone and iPod Touch just dropped in the app store, and if this newly-released promo video is any indication it’s one of the most functional production apps out there. The app is actually based on the Maschine sequencer hardware/software combination by Native Instruments. That might explain why Jamie Lidell looks like he’s actually pounding away at the pads on a sequencer instead of playing with an app.
The iMaschine app is actually a combination sampler, sequencer, and audio processor. It carries all of the tools you need to improvise and record a bumping beat. Choose from the included package of drum kits, synths, bass, and other sounds, and then lay down a track on the pads. As Lidell shows off, the iPhone microphone can be used to grab samples or to record in real-time. Then you can use the built-in tools to edit the track and tweak the sound.
The music in the video is all recorded in real-time. Lidell makes the sampling, playing, recording, editing workflow look seamless and intuitive. Native Instruments didn’t exactly hire an amateur to show off its app, and Lidell definitely had plenty of hands-on time before he shot the video. But at least we know what’s possible. With a little creativity and practice—that could be you too. iMaschine costs $4.99 and is available now in the app store. [via Gizmodo.com and Native Instruments and Warp Records]
- Lying in Bed, One Take, Insanely Awesome Jamie Lidell with iMaschine, iPhone (createdigitalmusic.com)
- Jamie Lidell on iMaschine (stylewalker.net)
- NI puts out Maschine Mikro controller, iMaschine iPhone app (electronista.com)
- Native Instruments Maschine Mikro just wants to make the world dance, forget about the price tag (engadget.com)
- Maschine News: Portable Mikro; Finger Drumming with Jeremy Ellis; Maschine for iOS (createdigitalmusic.com)